CatronCountyWalk

Catron County, New Mexico has about 400 miles of paved road, and we're planning to walk every mile of it ... eventually ...

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Rito/Sweazeville/Omega


This morning I walked west from mile marker 48 back to Omega, knocking off about 7 miles of what's left of Highway 60. I should have saved Omega for last - it would have been fitting to end my walk at Omega - but I really want to save the Pie Town stretch for last, so that I can celebrate with a slice of peach pie at The Daily Pie, made from fresh peaches.

Omega isn't a ghost town, exactly, but it's no longer in its heyday, so to speak. The thing that caught my attention immediately was a mobile home, half burned in a fire. Someone lives in the other end - the end that wasn't burned up in the fire - and apparently has for many years.

I googled Omega, and came up with this much: "This community was once called Rito after nearby Rito Creek. The name then switched to Sweazeville to remember a local gas station owner called Sweaze. In 1938, residents adopted (the name)Omega, the 24th and last letter of the Greek alphabet, for obscure, but possibly Christian reasons."

3 Comments:

  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger Ron Bloomquist said…

    Already I'm looking forward to Pie Town!

     
  • At 11:36 PM, Blogger Spike said…

    Mmm...pies... as Homer would say.

    Those are some excellent photos. I particularly like Pie Town and the lonely highway shot.

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Blogger Spike said…

    The Omega shot. I knew what I meant.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home