CatronCountyWalk

Catron County, New Mexico has about 400 miles of paved road, and we're planning to walk every mile of it ... eventually ...

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Coming down to the homestretch

It was a struggle to get up and out this morning, but I knew if I didn't do this walk today, I wouldn't be able to finish next week. Today I started at mile post 55 and walked west back to 48. Pretty perky for the first three miles, then I started dragging - I kept expecting to hit a long downhill stretch, but it was up and down, up and down, the whole way.

One thing I noticed and was intrigued by:



Ted Nugent, of course, is the aging hard rock Cat Scratch Fever guy, and I remember hearing once that he had taken a fiercely public pro-gun stance, but this sign made me curious. Does he have property in Catron County? What does "United Sportsman" mean? Is he describing himself as a unity of one? Google answered one question, at least - his organization is called "Ted Nugent United Sportsmen of America" and perhaps that mile of highway 60 has been adopted not by Ted personally, but by a member or two of his club. But still, I have questions. Who's responsible for the typo on the sign? Someone in the Catron County division of the highway department? Someone on a state level? The members of the TNUSA who applied to adopt that mile of highway? Am I the only one who notices these things?

One more stretch of highway to go, and I'm done walking Catron county's paved roads.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger Ron Bloomquist said…

    You wrote: "One more stretch of highway to go, and I'm done walking Catron county's paved roads."

    Paved roads?

    You gonna start doing the dirt??

    Well done on sighting the sign mistake. Try that from a speeding automobile sometime!

    Heh Heh

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Neath said…

    Well, maybe there should be a party when you cross the finish line?

    And , yes, what are your plans after that?

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger Spike said…

    Am I the only one who notices these things?

    Nup.

    Like Neath said, there oughta be a party or at the very least a bottle of red and video.

     
  • At 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    As I looked at your site, I could definitely identify with you.

    I am currently attempting to walk every block of every street, alley and lane (Ave., Blvd., rue, impasse, passage) in Paris, France and stumbled on your website. Do you know of any others?

    I would love to find others of the same interest; and am especially curious if anyone has walked all the streets of Paris.

    Merci,

    Marvin Scott
    mtscott@ms3.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home