CatronCountyWalk

Catron County, New Mexico has about 400 miles of paved road, and we're planning to walk every mile of it ... eventually ...

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Kentucky Derby Day

Yesterday, 5/6, we drove up to Quemado and walked the first 5.1 miles on Highway 36. There's no such thing as a bad walk, but this one came close to sucking - there was a constant wind of at least 15 miles an hour in our faces the whole time, with gusts up to at least 25mph, with accompanying grit. I forgot the camera, but it wasn't a great day for picture-taking.

Also, I'm sort of at the point where I am wishing, at least a little, that I could walk alone every once in a while. Having a walking partner is a great thing - there's safety in numbers, there's the company and the sense of shared effort, there's all the wonderful things that a partner brings to the endeavor, like dedication, and a second vehicle. There's also those times when you crave independence, or at the very least, quiet.

On the bright side, we walked 5 miles faster than we've ever walked 5 miles before, and we had a nice meal at El Serape Cafe in Quemado, reasonably priced, excellent service, and the chicken enchiladas were very good, as was the fried ice cream.

On a different note, if I have to listen to another schmuck make a joke about how I'm the county's official streetwalker, I'm going to use him for target practice. There seems to be a certain kind of asshole who thinks this is a cute remark. Usually over the hill, white, male and voted for Bush. Go figure.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "if I have to listen to another schmuck make a joke about how I'm the county's official streetwalker, I'm going to use him for target practice."

    LOL. You go, girl!

    Ugh re the grit in your faces.

    Understand totally about the wanting some alone time on the walks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home