CatronCountyWalk

Catron County, New Mexico has about 400 miles of paved road, and we're planning to walk every mile of it ... eventually ...

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Non-walking post

Not walking today, just thought I'd post a link to a blog that interests me, in that it's related to accessibility, or "walkability" of certain places. Go to www.heavytrash.blogspot.com and tell me what you think. Essentially you have a group of urban guerilla artists/activists protesting what I would call elitist practices undertaken by the wealthy to insulate and "protect" themselves from the unwashed masses. For example, the city of LA put a 7' fence around a public park so the homeless couldn't get into it, so the HeavyTrash artists built a stairway over the fence. Their latest project is to build bright orange viewing platforms so that people can see into gated communities. If I lived in one of those gated communities, naturally I'd be pissed as hell, but if I was attempting to walk all the streets of LA and kept bumping into private gates preventing me from walking on what used to be public streets and sidewalks past what used to be public parks, I think my attitude would be a little different. Anyway, I can't imagine wanting to live in a gated community.

"Oh give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above...don't fence me in." I think that was written by Cole Porter, and sung by Bing Crosby.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    People who don't reply to email deserve beheading!

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Suzanne44 said…

    You are so right!

     
  • At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You wrote:
    "if I was attempting to walk all the streets of LA and kept bumping into private gates preventing me from walking on what used to be public streets and sidewalks past what used to be public parks".

    Yep. That's just plain evil and elitist. If they're so worried about their privacy & stuff they should move to some isolated whatsit somewhere. And good riddance!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home