CatronCountyWalk

Catron County, New Mexico has about 400 miles of paved road, and we're planning to walk every mile of it ... eventually ...

Monday, November 20, 2006

Walking the Colicky Pony

I walked all afternoon in the sunshine with my daughter and her pony, Cheyenne. She found Cheyenne lying down, apparently unable to get up, and we were able to pull her to her feet before she did too much rolling, which could have caused her intestines to become twisted.

It was an unbelievably beautiful day. We walked a mile at a time, down to the gate at the highway and back to the barn where we'd try to get her to drink some water, and do it again. And again. The only time in my life I've actually hoped to smell a horse fart - I don't quite understand what it's all about, but when a horse is colicky, you walk them and walk them and walk them until they begin to pass gas, and hopefully, drop a load of horse apples, which is an indication, apparently, that things are working again in the intestines. You have to keep them up and walking.

So, as I said, it was an unbelievably gorgeous day, and I found myself feeling grateful to the horse for being the reason that I was outside walking around in the sunshine with my children. Toward dusk, we saw a Northern Harrier. At least I think it was a Northern Harrier - they're known to winter in this area.

After a few false alarms ("Was that you? Or was it the horse?) we detected the greatly anticipated and highly desired gaseous emmissions from the hind end of the horse. I think she'll be okay.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:14 PM, Blogger Ron Bloomquist said…

    I'm amazed at what it takes to get you out for a walk. But, hey!

    What ever works!

    Myself? I wimped out on account of drizzle!

    Maybe tomorrow!

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Spike said…

    Excellent result. Glad you didn't have to stick your arm up its bum.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home