CatronCountyWalk

Catron County, New Mexico has about 400 miles of paved road, and we're planning to walk every mile of it ... eventually ...

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Slightly puzzled

I got ahold of the recent DVD release of My Name is Nobody, popped some corn, opened a Dr. Pepper, and sat down to watch the movie, expecting to see Mogollon in all its rugged mountain glory. It turns out that it would have been more accurate to say that small parts of the movie were filmed in or near Mogollon. In fact, it seems to have been filmed all over the state, and Fonda and Hill pop up in places which even Afleet Alex (winner of yesterday's Preakness) couldn't have made it to in the short amount of time indicated - Acoma Pueblo one day, White Sands the next. New Mexico is a huge state.

I have a friend who used to belong to the now apparently defunct Catron County Historical Society, which apparently played a part in getting Sergio Leone and company to use Mogollon in the film. She visited Mogollon during the filming, but never met Henry Fonda or Terence Hill, and never saw the actual movie. I'm going to have to get her to watch it with me and tell me what she remembers about the whole thing. I wonder what happened to the Historical Society?

A Walk was scheduled for today but I weaseled out of it. Too hot, and besides, I have to keep an eye on the Euro. Currency traders who have been short the USD and long on the Euro have been watching in puzzled amazement at the apparent "strength" of the dollar in the face of all evidence to the contrary - geopolitical risk, economic data, everything points to dollar strength being unsustainable, especially with Greenspan retiring in January. I'm just waiting for all hell to break loose, although I could be waiting for a while - trading has seasons as well, and we're headed for the summer doldrums.

My other reason for weaseling out of walking is that the alibi is having a short fiction contest, entries to be no longer than 117 words, and three very very short stories are floating around in my head - I want to get them down before I lose them.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well...okay. Excuses considered and accepted. Good luck with the short story thingy.

    I can't talk anyways (on the walk excuses front). My feeble excuse is I forgot to buy bandaids and am afraid of a few minor blisters.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home